This sweet and sticky Orange Chicken recipe is one of my kid’s favorite dish. This dish is usually popular and known at Chinese Restaurants. I personally love sweet dishes so I just had to try this recipe at home.
Here’s my version of the Orange Chicken.
- 1 large boneless chicken breast (cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups of oil (for cooking)
For the Sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 chili pepper (chopped) or you can also use pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ginger (minced)
- half of bell pepper (minced)
- 3 pcs oranges or ponkan (juice extracted and keep a part of the zest )
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cornstarch and 2 tsp water (for the slurry)
For the Chicken Coating:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
For the Sauce:
- In a saucepan, boil vinegar.
- Add in the sugar, soy sauce, water, orange juice and the orange zest. Mix thoroughly and simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water to make the slurry.
- Add the slurry to the sauce mixture. Stir and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Turn off the heat and add the garlic, bell pepper, chili and ginger. Mix and set aside for a while.
For the Chicken:
- In a pan, heat oil in high heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch, all purpose flour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg in a another bowl.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour mixture, then drench on the egg mixture and back to the flour mixture again.
- Deep fry the coated chicken until golden brown.
- Toss the chicken into the sauce until full coated.
- Serve on a plate and garnish with green onions.
Will you try this at home? Let me know in the comments when you do!